This piece is “hidden” between the shoulder, ribs and fatback, for this reason we call to this part: “secret”. The cut to get this piece must be very accurate in order to keep the exact amount of fat. This highly grained piece stands out for its wonderful flavor and texture. Secreto could be called a pork skirt steak due to its similar properties to beef skirt steak. Secreto is sold by the piece, and each piece weighs approximately 3/4 LB.
Wagshal's carries two grades of Fermin Ibérico pork: Traditional Ibérico and Ibérico de Bellota
Ibérico de Bellota pork is:
- 100% Ibérico lineage (government verified)
- Free-range, antibiotic free
- Must have a minimum of 2 acres of land to live
- Must have at least 1 acorn tree per pig
- Harvested one time per year. Season starts in December and runs until the quota is met.
- All food and water must be naturally occurring. Water and food cannot be introduced to the pigs at anytime. Human interaction is minimal. The pigs live the same way they've been living in previous generations.
- The Ibérico pig is a descendant of the wild boar that once inhabited the Mediterranean forests. Today, it is the last free ranging and grazing pig in Europe and an integral piece of an ecosystem that exists today solely in the dehesa, the government protected holm and cork oak forests of Western Spain.
Traditional Ibérico pork is:
- Available year round.
- A good introduction to Ibérico pork due to its better price point and better availability.
- Starts with the same genetics as the bellota grade pig. It has a unique ability to store fat - which filters throughout the muscle, liberally marbling the meat in appearance - giving it in comparable tenderness, taste and texture that make Ibérico the best in its class.